I used to hate beets.
I didn’t understand how anyone could eat those slimy, weird things, they were NOT good.
And then, as a young bride, my mother-in-law fed them to me.
You have to make a good impression on your mother-in-law, especially at first, right? You have to eat what she serves when you are over for dinner, and be grateful for it? At least I thought so then, so I dutifully took my first bite of beets, expecting the worst.
And guess what? They were delicious!
I had no idea beets so be so good! She had doubled the recipe, but every single bite was gone by the end of the meal, and I was still wishing for a few more. She gave me her recipe and we have made it several times since.
Since cleaning up our diets I have also cleaned up this recipe a bit. It’s really quite fast as easy, especially if you are using canned beets or if you have roasted the beets previously.
Give it a try and tell me, are you now a beet fan?
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can diced or sliced beets, or 3-4 raw beets that you have roasted in the oven
- Pour liquid from can into a saucepan.
- Add all ingredients except beets and cook on medium heat until everything is dissolved.
- Add the beets and cook 5-10 minutes, long enough for the flavor to be incorporated into the beets.