Sometimes a girl just needs a treat. Whether it’s a hard day at work, a birthday, or when a certain monthly visitor comes to call, those treat cravings come, even for us clean-eating types!
So what do you do when those times come?
For me, I like to whip up a batch of these yummy brownies. Yes, these are still a treat, and should be eaten in moderation, but they are way healthier than the regular versions you’ll find! And the good news is that these are still fudgey and delicious, and really curb that craving!
- --For brownies
- 1 bag chocolate chips (we like Enjoy Life brand)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 medium avocados
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup powdered cacao (or cocoa powder not processed with alkali)
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- --For the frosting
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a pastry brush, butter a 9 x 13 dish.
- In a double boiler or a heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water, melt the chocolate chips together with the coconut oil. Once melted together, set aside and allow to cool.
- Pit and halve the avocados and put in mixing bowl. Use your mixer to puree the avocado.
- Add the melted chocolate, maple syrup, and vanilla to the avocado and mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the eggs until totally incorporated.
- Add cacao and flour and mix until you have a smooth, thick batter. Pour into pan and bake for 13-15 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
- For the frosting, pit and halve the remaining avocado, and puree using mixer as before.
- Add in cacao and syrup, blend thoroughly. Store in fridge until ready to use.
- Once brownies have cooled, spread with frosting and serve.