This sauce is perfect for so many things! We love it over baked potatoes, or I will mix it with pasta and bake for homemade mac’n’cheese. You can also whip up a batch and mix it with salsa for some yummy salsa con queso with some organic corn chips. Yum!
A quick word on cheese, milk, butter, and other dairy products. The best kinds of dairy are from grass-fed cows. When the cows eat grass, their milk products end up much higher in nutrition, especially vitamins A, E, and vitamin K2. I will usually try for grass-fed over organic, although organic in dairy products is really a great thing to look for, too. For cheese, we like the Kerrygold brand. We usually buy the big chunk they sell at Costco, but I think this is the same one (or at least close), to give you an idea what to look for. Kerrygold is also a great brand to look for when looking for butter.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 15 grinds fresh black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheese (you can vary the kind of cheese depending on what flavor you are going for)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium low heat. Whisk in flour and allow to cook for a few minutes, until the mixture starts to change color.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper and whisk almost constantly until it begins to thicken, 8-10 minutes.
- Add cheese slowly, whisking constantly and allowing the cheese to melt. Remove from heat and serve.