It happens more often than I’d like to admit; by the time work is done at night and I’ve picked up the kids, everyone is starving and they want dinner on the table five minutes ago. At those times, the drive in at the local fast food joint calls my name a little more loudly, and I find myself searching my phone contacts for the pizza delivery guy’s number.
Thankfully over the past few years I’ve added quite a few healthy meals to our family’s repertoire that are faster than fast food, and will fill us up without bogging us down. This particular recipe is unbelievably simple, and yet very satisfying and delicious. It’s the type of recipe you can throw together and have everyone happy and fed just minutes after walking in the door.
Faster Than Fast Food - Easy Turkey Cabbage Dinner
Author: Emily - www.thatswhatieat.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ green cabbage, chopped
- ½ purple cabbage, chopped
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and grated with a cheese grater (to make it really easy on yourself, buy a huge bag of coleslaw mix in place of the cabbage and carrots)
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup chicken or turkey broth
- Heat a dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add olive oil, ground turkey, onion, garlic, and salt and pepper. Stir occasionally until turkey is cooked through.
- Remove half the turkey mixture and set aside.
- Layer half the cabbage and carrots over the turkey still in the pot.
- Sprinkle with 1 tsp of caraway seeds and salt and pepper.
- Add the remaining turkey in a layer, then another layer of cabbage and carrots.
- Sprinkle with remaining caraway seeds and more salt and pepper.
- Add chicken broth and cover.
- Cook until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir right before serving.