Last week as I was putting together the clam chowder recipe for you, I noticed the biscuit sitting to the side of the bowl of soup, and my mind said, “Mmmmm, biscuits.” Ever since then I have had biscuits on the mind, so we had biscuits for breakfast Saturday and then biscuits and gravy for dinner tonight.
So yummy! If you have little girls, using a heart shaped cookie cutter is a simple thing you can do to make the kiddos happy, at least if they are anything like my little monkeys. Thankfully Marquis doesn’t mind heart-shaped biscuits, too!
Sometimes I prefer mine with just a smear of butter and some homemade jam from our peach trees
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I like to use whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour for a lighter taste)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder (look for aluminum free)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup cold butter (1 stick)
- ¾ cup milk (organic, whole, and grass fed is best)
- 2 tablespoons butter (organic and grass fed is best)
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 2 cups milk (organic, whole, and grass fed is best)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add all dry ingredients to the bowl of a food processor and pulse 3-4 times to mix (alternatively you could make this in a bowl with a pastry cutter or a couple of knives).
- Cut butter into chunks and add to food processor, pulse until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and pulse until the dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and roll to about ½ inch thick.
- Cut circles with a glass, or hearts with a cookie cutter.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheet 10-12 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- For the gravy, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add flour and whisk together, cook for a few minutes to get the flour taste out.
- Add milk and whisk together.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Stir frequently until gravy thickens.
- Serve gravy over biscuits and enjoy!
Do you have a Real Food recipe you would like to have featured on my Real Food recipe Wednesday? Please send all submissions to Emily@thatswhatieat.com, I would love to feature you on my site!