How about a super easy, delicious recipe?
I won’t lie to you, this is more effort than opening a jar of marinara. Barely. But wow, does it ever taste better! The teeny bit of extra effort is very worth it. As a little note, tomatoes are very acidic. The honey in this recipe is used to cut the acidity. If you taste the sauce at the end and it still is too acidic, add in either a touch more honey or another tablespoon of butter, cook another few minutes and taste again.
NOTE: If you are making this for pizza, omit the sausage, then hit the final product with an immersion blender to make it smooth, or blend it up in the blender (carefully, it’s hot!).
- ½ lb sausage (we used ¼ lb hot Italian and ¼ lb regular Italian sausage)
- ½ medium onion diced ½ cup
- 4 small carrots ¾ cup
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 can tomato puree, 29 oz
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Brown sausage, remove from pan and drain.
- In the same pan, melt butter and add onion and carrot.
- Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add sausage back in along with all remaining ingredients.
- Allow to simmer and season to taste.
- Puree with a stick blender and serve.
This post has been linked to the Girl Meets Nourishment Unprocessed Fridays link party, check out all the great links right here!