I was asked once what my favorite food was, and after I decided that chocolate was the obvious answer and they probably meant, “What is your favorite food besides chocolate,” I thought long and hard, because wow is there ever a lot of good food on this planet, and finally decided that mango salsa is it, my most favorite food.
I could eat this stuff for breakfast, lunch and dinner for weeks and weeks and never get bored. The best part is that it goes with everything. Eat it straight up with chips, put a dollop inside the tortilla with tacos, or throw a pile on top of grilled chicken or fish.
Now that peaches and nectarines are in season, you can substitute those for the mango and it turns out so good!
(This mango salsa is not to be confused with my Chicken with Warm Mango Salsa recipe. While they are both awesome, that salsa is served warm and is almost more of a sauce. This salsa is served cold and is chunky and perfect. )
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 large or 2 small mangoes (you can also use peaches or nectarines)
- 1 large avocado
- 1-2 jalapenos, depending on how spicy you like it
- 4 green onions
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 10 grinds fresh cracked pepper
- Dice tomatoes, mangoes and avocado into bite-size chunks
- Slice the jalapeno in half. If you want a milder salsa, remove seeds and rinds
- Thinly slice white parts of green onions going slightly into the green.
- Mix all ingredients together with the seasonings and enjoy!